January 31, 2013
In honor of Mozart’s birthday (Jan. 28), this week’s playlist is all-Mozart all-the-time. Even though he’s known as a classical “heavyweight,” you really can’t go wrong with Wolfgang Amadeus where kids are concerned. O.K., you can, but you really have to try. The guy must have had a terrific sense of humor, which you hear on several of these tracks. But the main things about Mozart’s music that make it so wonderful to have is its vitality — those fast movements are so danceable — and the unbelievably beautiful melodies that he regularly serves up. Enjoy!
- Clarinet Concerto, K. 622, third movement, Richard Stolzman soloist.
- Overture to The Marriage of Figaro.
- “Soave sia il vento” (May the wind be gentle), from Così fan tutte , the Swingle Singers.
- Adagio (movement 3) from Serenade for 13 Winds, K.361 (“Gran Partita”), Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.
- “Rondo alla turca” from A-Major Piano Sonata, K.331, Murray Perahia, piano.
- Allegro con spirito (movement 1), Symphony No. 35 in D Major.
- Allegro (movement 1 ) from Eine kleine Nachtmusik (A Little Night Music), K. 525, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Neville Marriner, cond.
Michael Zwiebach is the senior editor/ content manager for SFCV. He assigns all articles and content, manages the writing staff and does editing. A member of SFCV from the beginning, Michael holds a Ph.D. in music history from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Wed May 29, 2013 8:00pm
- Sat June 1, 2013 8:00pm
- Wed June 5, 2013 (All day)