About CHORA NOVA
Chora Nova is an auditioned chorus based in Berkeley, California, that draws experienced singers
from around the Bay Area. The group presents three programs each year, with performances in
November, March, and May.
Chora Nova is seeking an experienced, dynamic and inspiring music professional for a
part-time position as Artistic Director to:
- Plan three annual Chora Nova concert series, in cooperation with the Board of Directors
- Organize and conduct rehearsals
- Conduct the chorus, orchestra and soloists at concert
- Audition prospective members and re-audition returning members with a view to continually
- improving the quality of the chorus.
- Work collaboratively with all Chora Nova constituencies: board, singers, audience and members of
- the community
- Foster the organization’s spirit of cooperation and camaraderie
Among the qualities we are seeking:
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the classical choral repertoire
- Advanced degree in music preferred but not required
- Ability to coordinate the musical elements of presenting concerts
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
The Music Director is an 8-9 month position annually from late August - late May of each year, with
an extended hiatus between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. Starting compensation $21,000. No
benefits are included, and no relocation allowance is available.
See full job description at https://choranova.org/director-search/
Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2024
Start date: Planning for the 2024-2025 season begins immediately after selection (normally on Zoom). Chorus auditions and annual meeting are in late August; rehearsals begin in early September 2024.