Director of Development and Major Gifts
Director of Development and Major Gifts
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours/Compensation: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt; $70,000 salary plus benefits
Since 2015, the Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera (SP&O) has been one of the leading orchestral and operatic success stories locally, statewide, and nationally. During this period, the SP&O has grown from a nearly fiscally insolvent organization to one with a stabilized $2.3 million budget – all while setting records in fundraising, selling out concerts, building a cash reserve, and achieving multiple consecutive years of balanced budgets. At this pivotal moment of leadership and organizational evolution, the SP&O now seeks a Director of Development and Major Gifts (DDMG) that will first manage a portfolio of major individual and institutional donors, and ultimately supervise the development department, to ensure that the organization raises the necessary funds to continue its upward trajectory and positive momentum.
Working closely with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors, and the fundraising consultant leadership, the DDMG will be able to learn and exercise best practices from industry experts and fundraise for a unique organizational business model that only a few organizations can match. The DDMG will begin its tenure by focusing on Major Gift fundraising, and then transition to leading and supervising the contributed revenue generation program. The successful DDMG will be a self-starter and creative; is curious and consistently willing to learn and ask questions; can collaborate in a team environment; possess a strong attention to detail; and has a continued desire to serve the Greater Sacramento Region through orchestral and operatic music.
- Meet or exceed budgeted contributed revenue goals.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward portfolio of current, unrenewed, and lapsed individual and institutional donors from $500 - $10,000.
- Bring the Sacramento Philharmonic & Opera’s work to life through dynamic storytelling to promote the organization while ensuring compliance with brand standards and musician contracts.
- Maintain grants calendar, build relationships with corporate and foundation grant officers, and ensure that all grant and proposal deadlines are met.
- Track all meeting and solicitation activity in Spektrix database, using data and moves management to advance relationships.
- Serve as the staff lead for the SP&O’s Development Committee, preparing reports and updating the Committee on Major Gift Activity.
- Work with the SP&O’s fundraising consultants and utilize their best-practice approaches.
- Manage Development Associate and ensure engaging content is being created across social and digital platforms.
- Support the Executive Director with print, digital, and television media and ad relationships and projects.
- Work with the Development Committee and the Board of Directors on new major donor acquisition, bringing prospects to concerts, and attending meetings with Board contacts.
- Lead stewardship efforts for Major Donors, inviting them to Donor Lounges, Post-Concert Receptions, Dress Rehearsals, and other events as appropriate.
- Manage major donor benefits program, ensuring benefits are fulfilled and effective.
- Assist the Executive Director in managing the organization’s Planned Giving program, including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations and Community Engagement to identify sponsorships and funding sources for concert and community projects and partnerships.
- Ensure communications are sent out in a timely and coordinated manner, and that documents needed to raise funds and sell tickets are properly and adequately designed.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Government Relations Committee on local, statewide, and national advocacy efforts that could yield new, potential funding streams.
- Represent the SP&O at functions, events, galas, dinners, etc., learning about the community and networking with area leaders.
- Ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide range of individuals.
- Willingness to learn and develop fundraising skills is a must.
- Desire to attend events at nights, on weekends, etc. as necessary.
- Attention to detail and consistency in following calendars and hitting deadlines.
- Motivation to bring new ideas for cultivation and stewardship to the fold.
- Passionate about the arts, with interest in orchestral/operatic music a plus.
- Previous fundraising/sales experience is a bonus.
Schedule: Monday – Friday during normal work hours (9:00 AM – 5:30 PM); must be able to work all concert nights (~8 per year, occur on weekends); may have to work additional nights to attend community events and galas, go on donor dinner calls, etc.
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Director of Development and Major Gifts.”
All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check. SP&O is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All opportunities are provided without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, nationality, veteran status, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. Through our work, we are committed to taking the necessary steps to ensure that the SP&O represents, and is accessible to, the Sacramento community.
Health Care, Dental, Simple IRA option, Flexible Spending Plan option, Parking provided
Submit resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Director of Development and Major Gifts.”