Hybrid concert: purchase tickets for in-person attendance OR RSVP to watch the live-stream online.
Back by popular demand: E4TT will bring its 14th Season to an exciting close with a hybrid performance at the Berkeley Piano Club AND online on Saturday, June 18, with “Émigrés & Exiles in Hollywood: Encore!” a reprise of a some of the favorites from E4TT’s much-loved multi-year exploration of composers who fled Europe in the 1930s and ‘40s and became known for establishing today’s “Hollywood” sound, along with Polish composers of the same era.
Featuring chamber works and film arrangements by emigré film and/or Polish composers:
- Hungarian-American Miklós Rózsa (1907-1995, “Ben Hur”);
- Austrian-American prodigy Erich Korngold (1897-1957,” The Adventures of Robin Hood”);
- German-American Franz Waxman (1906-1967, “The Bride of Frankenstein”).
- Polish-French Alexandre Tansman (1897-1986, “Paris Underground”);
- Polish-American Bronislaw Kaper (1902-1983, “Mutiny on the Bounty,”);
- Polish-American Henryk Vars (902-1977, “The Big Heat”);
- Auschwitz survivor Szymon Laks (1901-1983);
- Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969);
- Warsaw ghetto survivor André Tchaikowsky (1935-1982);
- Polish-Russian composer Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996);
- doubly-exiled Austrian Hanns Eisler (1898-1962, "None But the Lonely Heart"), to texts by Bertolt Brecht;
The concert will be performed at the Berkeley Piano Club for attendance in person by socially distanced, vaccinated, masked attendees. For those who are more distant, prefer not to attend in person or are unvaccinated, the concert will be live-streamed on YouTube.
All tickets are fully refundable up to one day before the concert.
Post-concert Meet & Greet on Zoom.
E4TT’s 2021/22 home season is supported by a grant from the San Francisco Arts Commission, and sponsored, in part, by a grant from The Ross McKee Foundation.