Learn Classical Music
We keep rediscovering the inexhaustibly deep musical traditions of Africa as artists from all over the world are refreshed and inspired by them. Her'es our late-summer introduction to a few of Africa's beautiful musical traditions.More "Under African Skies Playlist" »
Our friends over at NPR are running a summer contest to decide on "the great American symphony." Since they brought it up, here’s a list of American symphonies we think you ought to give a try.More "American Symphonies You Must Hear" »
Ever since the music industry emerged as a mass commercial enterprise, musicians have waded between that "popular" music and classical (mostly uncommercial) music. In today’s mix, we sample music by musicians who have been at the top of the music industry but have refused to be defined by it.More "So You Think You're Popular, Playlist" »
The guitar is an instrument that goes everywhere and plays every kind of music. In this playlist, though, we concentrate on Spanish classical guitar as well as Brazil’s extraordinarily diverse, famous guitarists and their music.More "Great Guitars Playlist" »
In honor of the huge Bach-fest going on in the Bay Area and its neighbor, Carmel, we’ve put together a mixtape of highlights of pieces you’ll be able to hear in live performance over the next month. Consider this mix an intro to Bach’s immense musical imagination.More "Midsummer Bach Playlist" »
America’s midsummer holiday is upon us, and the parades are gearing up. For the thousands who will be retiring to the backyard barbecue after the parade, there’s this playlist, with some of the perennial favorites and a couple of surprises.More "Fourth of July Playlist" »
Recent CD Reviews
International Music News
- As A Music Magazine Dies, The Future Of The Music Press In France Faces Questions
- Our Brains Can’t Resist A Tune, Which Is Why Good Advertising Jingles Work For Decades
- What Will Happen To The Chicago Tribune And L.A. Times As Tribune Publishing Rejects Gannett’s Offer?
- How To Acknowledge Your Manuscript Will Never Be A Novel – And Move On
- When The Most Important Musical Form Of The 20th Century Is Distilled To One Musician, Who Will It Be?