October 2, 2012
Speaking of films, here is the 2012-2013 "Opera and Ballet in Cinema" season from Emerging Pictures. HD presentations are shown on screens in nearly 400 multiplexes, art houses, museums, and performing arts centers throughout the U.S. and Canada. For Bay Area theaters carrying these screenings, see location listing.
- Oct. 2: Opera Australia’s La traviata by Handa Opera on a stage floating in Sydney Harbor, directed by Francesca Zambello, starring Emma Matthews in the title role.
- Oct. 7 and 9; La Sylphide in a new production from the Bolshoi Ballet.
- Oct. 14 and 16: Rossini's L’Italiana in Algeri from Teatro Comunale di Bologona, with Anna Maria Sarra as Elvira, Michele Pertusi as Mustafà, Edgardo Rocha as Lindoro, and Marianna Pizzolato in the title role.
- Oct. 21 and 23, La Scala Ballet presents L’altra metà del cielo ("The other side of the sky"), by Martha Clarke, using the music of Italian rock star Vasco Rossi, known for his drug use, racism, and misogyny. It's advertised as "a piece that's nothing short of magical as Clarke transforms his lyrics ofhatred into a piece that glorifies the feminine identity."
- Oct. 28 and 30: Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera from Teatro Regio di Torino, with Gregory Kunde as Riccardo, Gabriele Viviani as Renato, and Oksana Dyka as Amelia.
- Nov. 4 and 6: Swan Lake from the Royal Ballet, with Zenaida Yanowsky and Nehemiah Kish.
- Nov. 11 and 13: Siegfried from La Scala's new Ring cycle, with Nina Stemme as Brünnhilde, Daniel Barenboim conducting.