OPERATIONS MANAGER POSITION
Peninsula Cantare’s mission is to create a better world through music. We are an auditioned and fee-based chorus of about 70 singers who perform a diverse variety of repertoire.
Our season typically includes three concerts, reaching our audience in Palo Alto, CA., as well as the wider Bay Area. Funded through donations, member dues, concert tickets, and grants, we are looking forward to continuing to grow our donor base, grant funding, and overall operating budget in order to widen the scope of artistic and social programming possible in the upcoming years.
We have an artistic staff of six, including our Artistic Director, Collaborative Pianist, as well as four paid section leaders, a volunteer Board of Directors, and many other volunteers. We pride ourselves in a longstanding commitment to working together to continue to build our community and are looking forward to growing professionally and organizationally through the addition of an Operations Manager.
Primarily virtual (in-person at some rehearsals in Palo Alto, and at all performances.)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Marketing and Publicity
- Create and oversee a marketing calendar for all concerts and events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Palo Alto community, press contacts, and arts organizations to promote our activities.
- Design (or collaborate with graphic designer) digital and printed graphic marketing materials, concert programs, or other publicity in partnership with the Artistic Director (AD), artistic team, and board volunteers.
- Manage and develop the Peninsula Cantare website and social media sites in collaboration with webmaster and volunteers.
- Identify grant and foundation funding opportunities, and track submission, acknowledgement, reporting of applications (in collaboration with the AD and members of the Board of Directors).
- Develop, maintain, and manage an up-to-date database of donors and prospective donors.
- Plan and execute effective fundraising events in collaboration with members of the Board of Directors and singer volunteers.
In coordination with the AD:
- Manage guest artist contracts.
- Manage orchestra parts (scanning, disseminating, printing)
- Facilitate or delegate performance logistic communication with artists.
- In collaboration with the Choir Manager volunteer, ensure singer rosters are current.
- Manage all project productions including securing rehearsal and performance venues, booking video and audio engineers, and coordinating logistical requirements of performances.
- Strategize and develop audience, as well as coordinate management of audience database.
- Assist ticket coordinator volunteer in identifying and executing strategies for ticket sales, including tracking of sales.
- At performances, oversee volunteers with front of house coordination, box office, etc.
- Manage Singer Registration at the start of each season and rehearsal cycle. Coordinate with the Choir Manager volunteer to track singer registration, tuition, and music fees.
In coordination with members of the Board:
- Manage currency of non-profit status records
- Assist with tax form submissions
- Support the Board Secretary on an as needed basis
- Attend Board meetings on occasion
The ideal candidate will bring drive, care, and enthusiasm to the position, and will share the organization’s values of creating a better world through music. The candidate will possess solid organizational, communicative, and social-emotional competencies, and will thrive on creativity and innovation.
- Alignment with Peninsula Cantare vision and mission
- Experience in administrative and/or operations; non-profit or arts management experience helpful
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in social media and database management, Mailchimp, G Suite, and/or basic website maintenance
- Understanding of fundraising and development, grant writing experience is a plus
- Experience collaborating, especially with folx with diverse backgrounds and identities
- Appreciation for the choral arts, artistic background a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
COMPENSATION: $10,000. This is a salaried position, however will be an average 5-10 hours per week.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR: As an independent contractor, the Operations Manager would be responsible for payment of all taxes and would not be eligible for benefits.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY & PROCESS
Peninsula Cantare is working to broaden the reach of what can often be an exclusionary arts community. For this position, we specifically welcome those who bring diverse perspectives, experience, and depth to our organization. Peninsula Cantare strives to uphold the values of diversity, accessibility and inclusion in all elements of our work, and in this case, seek a transparent and equitable hiring process.
$10,000 per year
independent contractor (no benefits)