Primary Group (entry level) Choral Director
Primary Group Chorus Director - Wednesday Evening - Redwood City, CA
September 2022-June 2023
Ragazzi Boys Chorus (www.ragazzi.org), the San Francisco Bay Area’s largest choral organization for boys, seeks an inspired and vibrant Primary Group Chorus Director (PGCD) to lead one of three entry-level choruses on Wednesday evenings from 5:00-7:40p.
Ragazzi begins its 35th season under the artistic and administrative leadership of Kent Jue. We provide exceptional educational and performance opportunities for boys in the art of choral singing. Our thriving organization serves over 175 boys and young men, ages 5–18, from over 100 schools and 30 cities. Boys progress through six-tiered ensembles as they achieve musical and developmental benchmarks. We empower our choristers to create positive change in their communities and develop young men of character and distinction. Ragazzi produces its own concert series and regularly collaborates with such ensembles as the San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Opera, Symphony Silicon Valley, and Opera San Jose. Ragazzi is supported by 14 teaching artists and six administrators. Our robust program includes a comprehensive theory program, a sleep-away camp, and annual tours.
Each Primary Group comprises approximately 16-20 entry-level boys in grades 1-4. Reporting to the Coordinator of Training Ensembles, the PGCD designs the curriculum for their class and delivers rehearsal instruction preparing boys for performances in collaboration with the other directors. The PGCD oversees boys’ fulfillment of placement requirements for the next level, including their progress through the Ragazzi Theory Program as separately taught by the Theory Director.
In addition, the PGCD:
- Plans and conducts rehearsals that include vocal technique, sight-reading with moveable do, theory, performance practice, and repertoire (collaborative pianist provided)
- Develops and fosters a structured, nurturing, and joyful environment that creates enthusiasm for singing, the ensemble, and the Ragazzi program
- Communicates the Ragazzi philosophy clearly and effectively to boys and families, laying the groundwork for higher levels of commitment to the program
- Sends formal and informal evaluations, keeping boys and families abreast of progress
Strong candidates will possess the following preferred qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in music education, choral conducting, or music performance, or the equivalent
- Strong knowledge of vocal production and choral technique
- Exemplary musicianship and teaching skills
- Kodály training with successful teaching application
- Three years of experience teaching choral music to children
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and follow-through skills
- Ability to work with others in a collegial and collaborative way
- Passion for supporting boys and young men in the choral arts
Primary Group calendar:
- Rehearsals, Wednesday evening, onsite 5:00-7:40p (rehearsal from 5:30-7:20p), September through June, 178 Clinton Street, Redwood City, CA 94062
- Recitals, with dress rehearsals: December 10, 2022, and June 3, 2023
- Singing Saturday rehearsals and faculty meetings: October 22, 2022, and May 13, 2023, 9:00a-1:30p
- Other performances by mutual agreement ($150 per gig)
Compensation: $7400 per year, $500 professional development (ACDA) stipend, one professional service rehearsal coverage per semester, and sick time accrual. This is a part-time job. Other benefits are not offered.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, a resume, three references, a short rehearsal and performance video link, and a recent concert program to Artistic and Executive Director Kent Jue at [email protected]. Ragazzi Boys Chorus is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.